Post Reflection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #342

In this assignment, I had written an Inquiry-Based research essay about racism in sports and how it affects Native Americans. The audience of my essay was research essay writers. My essay was structured to be very direct and informative. It gave you information about each source and the issue at hand immediately. There wasn’t sub-arguments or rebuttals. “People who are not caring about the use of symbols and traditions of Native Americans may not be aware that this could damage Native Americans because it not only makes them feel less about themselves but also disgusted.” In this section of my essay, I was very straightforward as to what the stance in my essay was, which was similar to how my model essay was written. I chose my topic because I had recently viewed a video about a man, Frederick Joseph, who had worn a parody jersey with the term “Caucasians” with a white man as a logo below it. This sparked my interest into racism in sports and how it affected Native Americans. In order to find the proper sources to support my claim, I had searched key terms like “Racism, ‘sports”, and “Native Americans” into the google search bar. Many articles were posted online about this topic, all very similar. They had all mentioned the football team “redskins”, how long this issue has been occurring, and the stereotypes connected to Native Americans.

The peer-review process is, in my opinion, one of the best types of writing processes. It shows the writer what not to do and they learn new ways of writing. I had my Inquiry-Based research essay draft reviews and the comments consisted of how to word things differently, explain more of my arguments, and add more sources. This helped me learn how to write differently and better. If I’m not peer-reviewing as an assignment in class, I am doing it at home with friends. I ask them to review my essay and tell me what they think of it. It helps me improve my grammar and how to synthesize. The drafting process was complicated due to the model essay I chose. My model essay had many paragraphs, one source for each. I had to do my essay similar to this and it was difficult to do so. I had gotten to a point in my essay where if I had continued to write, I was going to repeat myself. This was a major issue because I hadn’t reached the page or word requirement.

#361
    Sarah Aly
    Participant

This very good start but will need improvement with the information that you can add more about your audience. How did the topic spark your interest. What different reactions were you getting from your audience. If you want to add more information you can talk about the interview process if you feel like you’re missing things.

#380
    Caitlin Geoghan
    Keymaster

I’d also like to hear more about the audience for this reflection. I know that your model essay was in a publication that targeted teachers and other educators. I’m not sure who “research essay writers” is in the above mention. Is it other college students? Professionals? etc. Just clarify that a bit. Also, I’d like to hear something about synthesis. How did you integrate the material from your sources in your essay? In short, you’ve covered your bases here, but you should give some examples from your work with regard to drafting, synthesis, peer-review etc. It’s a great start!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.