Post Essay Reflection

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #352
    Faolan Mejias
    Participant
    #360
    Faolan Mejias
    Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Faolan Mejias</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Post Essay Review</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Reflecting on my source based essay I think I learned a lot. When I first chose my topic, I had been told it would be hard to write a strong essay on just the arrest of 21 Savage and that maybe I should explore other topics. When you’re in a college level social justice class, there is pressure to pick the safer topics and color within the lines. However, I did not do that. The reason I picked a obscure topic is because it is a huge injustice and people do not realize. People see celebrities and feel like they aren’t regular human beings. People saw his arrest and possible deportation from a place he has called home for over a decade as a meme instead of a social justice issue. Through writing this essay I learned more about immigrants and those that are considered dreamers. To me it’s crazy how some people view illegal immigrants as criminals and low lifes because they are all around us. They come here to work and make a better future for themselves and their family. They work hard, long hours for very little pay and people have the nerve to say they steal our jobs. This paper made me look more in depth to the treatment of immigrants who are regular people and those who have a lot of money and fame. The biggest thing they have in common is that they are mostly minorities. </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>One of the hardest things to do with this paper was find material to write about. I started off with about 3 articles on 21 Savage and his arrest, all with the same details. I knew I needed more so i dived deeper into pop culture and our immigration system. I started to piece certain ideas together. I decided upon using John Lennon and Slick Rick because like 21 Savage they were very politically conscious. On top of that they were all immigrants who were campaigning against what they felt the government stood for. After I found articles on those two figures, I tried to learn more about ICE and the treatment of immigrants. When ICE detains someone for deportation, they hold them imprisoned. Regardless if you have been deported or not you will be held in prison until they figure out your sentence. </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Peer review is something we have been doing in this class from early on and something I have had since a young age. From group activities to reading each others papers, peer review comes in many different ways. It can be helpful to an extent and I do enjoy working in groups. However, I like when we can discuss ideas and form thoughts with other people. To me that helps a lot more than reading someone’s paper or having someone read mine. The act of speaking with people and collectively forming answers is a good way to make class feel less stressful and more relaxed. It also helps people get involved and not just stay in the back.</span>

#362
    ahmed ahmed
    Participant

His reflection was organized as the ideas and the steps of writing the paper and also he defined a lot of details on how he found his topic and the process of writing it. Also he has mentioned what encouraged him to go for the topic he chose. He showed his topic from different point of views on how different people see it in different ways

#379
    Caitlin Geoghan
    Keymaster

Strong reflection on the topic for your essay and very nice writing, generally speaking. You mention the peer review process, but don’t say much about drafting, synthesis, or how you expanded your topic from 21 Savage to include Dreamers with other sources. In addition, you need to identify a specific audience for this reflection. Who are you writing to and how does that impact your writing style?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.